Saturday, January 1, 2011

Tracking Through the Snow

 What a beautiful start to the new year! Today it was in the 40's all day so I took the paps over to the park twice. I look Lil out of the van first for a bit of Tracking, then got out Knight and we went on a nice walk.  I did 3 different tracks with Lilly. 5 steps, 10 steps, then 20 steps. Treats in every few steps and a nice jackpot of treats at the end. It was through the snow so the track was very easily seen and Lilly just tore through it.

 When I went back to the park in the late afternoon I tried Glen Johnson's tracking method with Lil, just to see how she'd handle it. Here's a quick overview of what I did:

-First Track is 5 yards long, double laid, going into the wind. One treat in first step, jackpot at the end.

-Second Track is 10 yards long, double laid, going into the wind. One treat in first step, few treats at 5 yards, jackpot at the end.

-Third Track is 20 yards long, double laid, going into the wind. One treat in first step, few treats at 5 yards, few treats at 10 yards, jackpot at the end.

Lil did each of the tracks 3 times ver successfully. I stayed at the end of her 6 ft long lead the whole time, she veered off of the track only once or twice and quickly found her way back to it. I think I'm going to stick with Johnson's method a while longer and see how it goes. Right now she really, and I do mean really, enjoys tracking. So who knows, maybe there's a TD in Lil's future.

The tracking was followed by another walk with both of the paps. Which was then followed by a much needed bath. 2011 is off to a great start.


No comments:

Post a Comment